Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Hello World

Hello World,
I am an American female in my late twenties who recently got married to a guy from a central Asian country.   All marriages are tough, but I think ours has several extra elements of difficulty because we are from very different cultures, are different races, and have different beliefs about religion.   This blog is about my married life with a muslim man. 

Now, let me just say from the start that I love my husband very much and he loves me.   He is very hard-working, kind, and caring.  He doesn't beat me, make me wear a hijab, make me stay at home or anything like that.  He is religious, but he is not a fanatic or terrorist.  He has been in the U.S. for almost 7 years (he speaks very good English) and has assimilated quite well into the American culture in some ways.  But he is a foreigner.  He is a foreigner from a very strange and repressive country.  And the mentality of his culture is about 50 years behind the western world.  I was born, raised, and educated in the USA.  So, we both are very different people with a different understanding of the world.  Sometimes this causes conflict in our relationship. 

Our relationship and short marriage have been filled with many happy moments, but there are many things that have happened in our relationship that I am still trying to process.  I spend alot of time trying to understand my husband's thoughts and behavior by considering  his culture and religion.  But it is hard to keep my thoughts organized and coherent.  I know, I probably need to go to a therapist to talk about my relationship,  but my insurance doesn't cover therapy and I'm too cheap to pay for it.   So, I thought starting a blog would be a cheap alternative to psychological counseling. I welcome any comments, just try to keep it friendly. 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment